Sunday, March 11, 2012

Ippudo NY

J and I have been to Ippudo before it got all the hype it does now. I remember back then when we ate, we didn't have to wait over an hour for seats. Because we want that satisfying taste again, we waited. Would we do it again? I don't know, maybe when we're either desperate enough or drunk.

The waiting area is crowded and the later you go, the longer you would have to wait. We arrived around 6 and still have to wait for an hour, imagine those that came at 7... they would have to wait 2 hours.

When we finally got seated, we were starving and didn't really care about my wallets... as long as our stomachs were satisfy. The waiter was quite fun to chat with despite the little grumpiness in our voice. We placed our order and waited (yet again) patiently for our food.

Hamachi Carpaccio
I find that I dislike sashimi but I love carpaccio. The only difference is that there's a light citrus-y in carpaccio which I absolutely love versus just raw slices of fish. I mean, I eat sushi but not sashimi. Anyways, the Hamachi Carpaccio was very refreshing. The light yuzu citrus dressing that covered the hamachi brings out the taste of the fish, which isn't pungent at all. I also like how they pickled the jalapeno, not spicy/hot at all.

Kurobuta Steak Ginger Sauce
I think the reason why we ordered this was because of the fried egg, and I definitely misinterpreted kurobuta steak for a real steak... fail. But, nonetheless it was a nice dish. The slices of pork could use a bit more flavor and it was a tad bit dry. Good thing there was the fried egg because the runny yolk totally saved the day.

Umakara Tori Tatsuta Age
Fried chicken wings without the bones? Yes please! Not only that, but it was stuffed with minced meat and that spicy tangy sauce was so addicting. Sad that there was only 2 pieces of wing... wish they would just have more in an order.

So, time for the ramen. Ippudo is known for their spectacular ramen, that's what everyone said I'm just reiterating the truth. I've had ramen at other shops and after having that first spoon of soup I understand and remember why J and I like Ippudo so much.

Akamaru Modern
J's bowl of ramen goodness. There's an extra garlic oil and miso paste which makes the bowl so awesomely good.

Shiromaru Hakata Classic
I had the classic bowl. Yea I know, how boring can I be... but hey, I like to savor the simple things in life. The broth was so rich and flavorful. The noodles were cooked just al dente and I love how they make the egg. J and I need to write down places that makes their egg runny just like in the photo. Though, Ippudo does give you 2 options for eggs... either poached (which J had) or seasoned salt boiled egg (which I had).

To end the meal, we ordered a dessert that left us remembering it the last time we were here.

Matcha Brulee
Matcha Green Tea Creme Brulee. I don't remember it being this small back then but it was enough to satisfy us since we were stuffed by the end of the meal. The crust was a tad bit burnt and I do think the dish should've been deeper.

So yes, I do like Ippudo. The place is actually really good, it's no joke and it "might" be overrated but the food justifies everything. It lives up to its expectations.

Ippudo NY
65 4th Ave
New York, NY 10003
(212) 388-0088

No comments:

Post a Comment