Friday, March 23, 2012

Jin Ramen

Jin Ramen opened a couple of weeks before the actual day we went to eat, which means it's pretty spankin' new. Just two weeks in and the place was already packed. J and I arrived around 7pm-ish and there were lines out the door. Luckily, it was only a 5-10 minute wait and we were seated soon enough.

The menu was small which I appreciate. Small menu usually means (to me) that they either make those certain dishes really well or they like to focus on those dishes to perfect it. You don't need a big menu to lure in a big crowd.

Nankotsu Kara-Age
J and I knew what we wanted already, I mean it was a small menu afterall. First came the fried chicken with cartilage. I didn't taste any cartilage with my chicken but they are good pieces of fried chicken chunks.

Kani Salad
My favorite of the night. I always see Kani Salad as just shredded cucumbers and imitated crabmeat but Jin Ramen sure twisted it around. I love Seaweed Salad and I was so thrilled when I knew they incorporated into the Kani Salad. The mix of textures and flavor just explodes in your mouth. Crunchy, sweet, tangy, salty, slimy, zesty... it was all there.

Shoyu Ramen
Spicy Tonkatsu Ramen
I had the Shoyu while J had the Spicy Tonkatsu. The broth was really good and I loved their char siu. Two things that didn't impress me was the bamboo shoots and the noodles itself. There wasn't much flavor in the bamboo shoots and I love bamboo shoots that comes in the ramen bowl. The noodles were a bit overcooked, like literally just 30 seconds overcooked - makes a big difference. I like ramen noodles to have that slight bite to it.

It wasn't a bad meal but if they tweaked those two things then this would be a bowl of heaven because I always thought that broth and char siu are the difficult items in the bowl. But really, their char siu is soooo good.

Jin Ramen
3183 Broadway
New York, NY 10027
(646) 559-2862

1 comment:

  1. i like my ramen have a bite into it too.i think the chewy-ness makes it taste better

    ReplyDelete