Monday, July 18, 2011

Prune

I came here with J on my birthday. I would never had guessed it.

We knew about this place thanks to Anthony Bourdain on No Reservations. He had an episode where he was eating bone marrow and it looked so drool worthy. I attempted to make reservations for Prune but failed because the times they offered didn't fit into my schedule. J was just so lucky this time.

The restaurant is small but it doesn't mean it's not friendly.

Rose Wine
Fried Chickpeas
I don't think I ever had chickpeas like this before, it's usually in a falafel when I eat it. This was certainly an eye opener since it's so light and crisped. The complimentary dish was delightful and the small dish of salt was perfect for J.

Serrano Ham
We didn't originally order this, but after seeing people order it and it being swayed around in front of our faces we had to get it. The rack of ham was on the counter of the kitchen which is always a good sight. The lime with the ham is the best part, trust me!

Roasted Bone Marrow

The reason why we came. The marrow was so fatty and gelatinous. It felt like a sin to be eating this but I rather go to hell being once satisfied than never. The tasted bread with marrow and a dash of sea salt was amazing, and if that was great enough, throw a piece of parsley in your mouth and you're in bliss heaven.

Grilled Quail
J's dish which was cooked perfectly. I mean I never had quail made so right. Juicy and tender, and the bed of greens went so well with it.

Suckling Pig
My dish wasn't bad at all, I really like the meat. So soft and filled with flavor. The crispy skin was the highlight, I gave it to J since he love fried skin.


Ended with a drinking dessert. I'm not sure what the name of this was but it was so foam-y good. The flavor was lemon with lemon vodka, the texture of the dessert was a cross between ice cream, sorbet, and frozen yogurt. So good!


Cherries to cleanse your palate.
It's a great homey restaurant that can satisfy your hungry. Majority of the dishes are types where you would make at home but they give a little twist and showcase it in a fancy way. Either way, the food here is quite spectacular. I wouldn't go anywhere else for my birthday.

Prune
54 E 1st St 
New York, NY 10003
(212) 677-6221

1 comment:

  1. bone marrow on bread....thats the first time ive heard about it...ive got to try it out...im gonna search to see if any Toronto restaurant have it...


    Jessy

    ReplyDelete