Thursday, June 14, 2012

Dessert Works: Yat Yat Sweet

It's nice to know that Asian desserts are being served other than the generic American sweets. I mean I like cakes, cupcakes, ice cream and sweets of those sorts but you have to admit that they're quite overly sweetened sometimes. There are moments where I want dessert but not crazily sweet to a point that I feel like I need to rinse my mouth.

Yat Yat Sweet opened up in Brooklyn and serves Hong Kong style dessert and beverages. I always see it on television how Hong Kong-ers would order or eat in their desserts. Usually in styrofoam containers which is great since you can hold on to it whether it's hot or cold. What Hong Kong-ers call dessert in Cantonese is Tong Sui which literally means "sugar water" in English.


Ice w/ Evaporated Milk & Toppings. (includes small sago, mix fruits and lychee popping boba)
Such a refreshing cold dessert.


Herb Grass Jelly w/ Coconut Milk. (includes longan, passion fruit and lychee popping boba)
Can you tell that I'm obsessed with the popping boba? They're so fun to eat because if you put enough pressure on them in your mouth, it burst open with the fruit flavor. The herb grass jelly in this was extremely bland, wouldn't hurt to put some sugar in them. Plus, the amount of coconut milk was a joke. So little, this particular dessert was dry in general.



Ginger Soup w/ Black Sesame Mochi.
There's only 5 pieces in the container, wish there was more because they're pretty good. Even though it's hot dessert, it's really soothing. I wish there was more to it than just plain ginger soup with mochi balls, like maybe have the option to add toppings like taro or sweet potato...that would be pretty awesome.

7-Up w/ Salty Lemon.
Sweet and salty, love that combination. Be great for a hot summer day which it was that day when I went.

A nice rare shop that sells Hong Kong desserts and beverages. No longer do I have to tell my mom to make some Tong Sui, I can just get my fixin' here.

Yat Yat Sweet = Day Day Sweet --> everyday sweet!

Yat Yat Sweet
1926 Bath Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11214
(718) 513-6355

No comments:

Post a Comment