Monday, March 11, 2013

Cannibal - Please turn around if you don't want anything meat

Been wanting a good piece of steak for the past month or so and finally satisfied this craving!

And to satisfy such craving, what's better than going to a place named Cannibal. A bit odd and creepy but we're not eating humans here, just other animals...haha.

In total, we ordered 3 dishes and none of them have greens in them. Pure meat heaven.


Started off with Pig's Head Terrine ($11) as an appetizer. A nice cold rendition of headcheese that is quite gelatinous and porky. There were bread accompany this dish so don't feel too horrified of eating this fatty goodness. The gherkins were a nice touch, love me some pickled cucumbers.


Next was the Beef Heart Tartare ($16), I have to say this was my favorite. I love trying something new and I know that J couldn't agree more! I was afraid the heart would be too gamey and had too much of an iron taste to it since it is a muscle of blood, but to my surprise, the beef heart was covered in spices that really brought out the meaty-ness of the dish.


The beautiful fried shallots on top really gave it that extra oomph, if you know what I mean. I would come back to Cannibal, get a glass of wine and just enjoy this tartare because it's that amazing. If you can eat tuna tartare or beef tartare, then this is just a piece of cake.

For our main course, we had the Steak Du Jour for two. It was whatever they had that night and they had a ribeye and t-bone. We chose the former because the t-bone was quite on the pricey side plus, we weren't that crazy into the steak.


The Ribeye ($95) cooked to medium rare was perfect. Placed on a wooden cutting board and served to us just like that. We cut our own pieces, or we could've used our hands...no one cared since we're suppose to be cannibals! There was a lot of fat on the ribeye though, the non-fat parts were quite juicy and delicious. Was it worth the $95? Definitely not, but it was aged for about 4 weeks so that's where the price kicks in.
The waiter asked if we wanted any sides, I really didn't want any because I literally just want to be left alone with this ribeye. But, good thing we didn't because I was stuffed and J would have to finish everything and I don't think he'll be too happy with that.

Would I come back again? Sure, but I won't be getting the Steak Du Jour again though. Maybe try their bone marrow or cold cuts or even sausages.

Cannibal
113 E 29th St
New York, NY 10016
(212) 686-5480 

1 comment: