Thursday, July 5, 2012

Totto Ramen

I never would've thought I would come here so soon. I've heard about the long lines and writing your name on the clipboard and limited seats.

It was the 4th of July and I actually thought by going there around opening, the waiting wouldn't be as bad since I assume people would be either at the beach or barbequing. Boy, was I wrong. Apparently, Totto Ramen opened half an hour earlier and is closing early because it's the holiday. So must for planning this out. When J and I was walking there, we tried to out-walk some of the people that we were pretty sure were going there too just so we can put our names before theirs. Yea, pretty evil.

The wait took about 40 minutes and wasn't so bad. The weather was nice, we had shade and the people around us were pricks and snobs.

Their menu was small and to the point. Service was quick and efficient.


It's a small and tight place with about 20 seats or so. Majority of the seats are by the bar. I don't suggest bringing a big party here, maybe maximum 4 if you really want to but the best would be 1-2 people as it'll be easier and faster to be seated. At a place like this, you just don't bring large groups. I mean, it's a bowl of ramen that you can eat in less than 10 minutes so just ditch your friends for a couple of minutes, you won't die.


What would be better than quenching your thirst with Sapporo Premium beer. It's the real deal. Plus, it's not a small bottle from what the menu said, it looks like a regular size beer bottle to me. Liars!


Avo Tuna.
It's funny how J and I were thinking of the same thing. So glad we ordered this because it was so refreshing and a great appetizer. The tuna was lightly seared and placed over slices of avocado which were all dressed with yuzu garlic sauce. Man, I love yuzu! Now, I know for next time we're ordering a plate for ourselves.


Totto Spicy Ramen.
I would've gotten their regular ramen but since I know my tolerance for spicy food had gone up, I told myself that I would get this. So glad I did. The extra spicy oil gave the bowl of ramen the perfect kick. The broth was delicious. It was heavy to a point where I want to just clutch my stomach and go into a fetal position but instead, I see myself drinking the soup even at the end when all my noodles were gone. The char siu was decent, actual fatty pieces that was really juicy and soft. The extra scallions and bean sprouts was perfect with the ramen, I love different textures and taste when I eat my ramen. A heavenly bowl indeed.

I would love to come back for their bowl of excellency. Maybe when winter comes I'll be bold enough to get the extra spicy ramen.

Totto Ramen
366 W 52nd St
New York, NY 10019
(212) 582-0052 

No comments:

Post a Comment