Thursday, October 6, 2011

Fatty Cue

A post long overdue but worth the mention.

I wanted to take J to Fatty 'Cue just because they had fried rabbit. How often in life will we ever come across fried rabbit in NYC? That's why once I read about Fatty 'Cue and their Buttermilk Fried Rabbit, I knew I had to make the trip and try it out.

Whereas all the other items on the menu weren't as appealing at the rabbit, we were willing to try new dishes and even dishes that we are quite familiar with.

We got seated by the door, which I didn't very much like but everywhere else was taken. Plus, it was my fault for not reserving a table the previous day (I totally forgot to call them and J forgot to remind me also).

You get a sense of fusion through the way things are being presented. And the only Asian thing would be the chopstick and plates, nothing else.

Drewish Princess
Caviar and Corn
Not a bad combination at all. The corn was sweet and the caviar was a bit salty which definitely compliments each other quite well.

Oysters
Not as fresh as I hope it would be, but what should I expect - this place is no seafood place. J and I just crave for some so we gave it a shot. I like my cocktail sauce better and they didn't have.

Clams and Bacon
The clams were quite big, winner already. The broth was quite amazing. Very clean tasting with a hint of spice. I just wished the bread wasn't so hard and toasted, felt like weeks old bread. So hard to soak up the broth.

Smoked Brandt Beef Brisket
Don't let the appearance fool you. This dish was quite the bomb. How can you not like brisket? I also love how they sauteed some onions and place them on a bed of lettuce, so good. And that chunk of yellow thing on the lower right hand side, cheddar cheese. I didn't know what it was so being me, I took a piece into the mouth. Big mistake, I do not like cheese that way.

Buttermilk Fried Rabbit
The star of the night - rabbit. It's surprising how much half a rabbit is. One thing I found from eating buttermilk fried anything, it taste great when it's fresh but as you chow down on your current pieces and neglect the others the consistency and texture changes. By the time I got to my last piece, the fried exterior shell of the rabbit started getting soggy and the crunchy-ness disappeared.

Would I come back to Fatty 'Cue? The chances are slim unless J wants to or if any of my friends bring it up. I already tried what I wanted and it wasn't bad, but it's not worth a revisit unless they plan on changing their menu. I mean, afterall, their rabbit was worth the trip.

Fatty 'Cue
50 Carmine St
New York, NY 10014
(212) 929-5050

No comments:

Post a Comment